There are free Entrance to Diesel House, and the engine starts every 1. and 3. Sunday at 11.00
In the early 1930s, B&W received an order to deliver a large diesel engine. Its purpose was to produce power at H.C. Ørstedsværket by the Copenhagen Sydhavn as a supplement to the existing steam turbine plant.
The engine is so grand, that the building it is situated in, had to be constructed around the engine – meaning, the engine was not fitted to the room but vice versa.
B&W2000 is a double-acting, two-stroke engine. It was put into operation in 1933 and was for more than 30 years, the world’s largest diesel engine. It was designed to supply power to the capital at times when the electricity grid was under the most pressure – in the morning time and at 3-6 pm, when people got off work. The engine was active until the late 1960s, but it was kept ready until it was disconnected from the electrical grid in 2004. Since the engine was disconnected in the late sixties, it has been started at least once a month and it was always ensured that the starting-air reservoirs were filled. This is the reason why the engine was able to supply power to Copenhagen, back when all of Zealand was hit by a power outage in 2003.
The engine is demonstrated on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month and on special occasions. .
If you have the Copenhagen Card or the CityPass there is free transportation
How to get there?
It very easy to get there. Just take the red S-train to Klampenborg, and walk 10 minutes through the forest, or bike along the beautiful beach road (Strandvejen). It will take around an hour from the City Centre, but you can take the train home with your bikes for free.
Take the S-Train to Dybbølsbro, and 10 minutes walk
From Dybbølsbro Train Station there is around 2 km
The DieselHouse Museum tells the story of B&W, dating all the way back to 1843, where it all started with a one-man smithing workshop. Later on, B&W developed into being one of Denmark’s largest workplaces, and it retained that title in a hundred years ahead.
The majority of the museum’s exhibits is built around material DieselHouse has received from the old B&W Museum, which, back in the day, was situated at Strandgade no. 4 in Christianshavn.
Since the beginning of the 20th century, B&W has been one of the world’s largest developers and manufacturers of large two-stroke and four-stroke diesel engines for ship propulsion and power plants, as well as the development and production of advanced ships. The production of ships and engines moved to low-wage areas in the East, but MAN Diesel and Turbo, which is the name of the company today, have managed to maintain the development and construction of the large two-stroke diesel engines in Denmark. The rights to produce the engines are sold to factories all over the world.